Back to top

By Christine Legere on Feb 9, 2018

Damage expected to push facility’s planned opening into April.

MASHPEE — A fire Friday morning at a medical marijuana dispensary that had been set to open at 29 Echo Road by the end of the month was “electrical and accidental,” according to Mashpee Deputy Fire Chief Jack Phelan.

The fire started in a ceiling void space and caused a small blaze in the attic, according to a statement from the state fire marshal’s office. Heating cables recently installed to prevent water pipes from freezing ignited nearby cellulose insulation, the statement says.

It was quickly knocked down and contained to the vestibule where patients will show their state-issued medical marijuana cards to be buzzed into the main building.

“The Fire Department did a great job,” said Jonathan Herlihy, CEO of Triple M, owner of the dispensary. “They ripped out the sheetrock ceiling in the vestibule and put out the fire in the attic.”

Read Full Story